Thursday, September 3, 2009

Grocery Store

We have arrived! The 12 hour flight was not anywhere near as bad as we thought it would be. Our apartment is amazing. It is a 3 bedroom flat located within the Education City Community Housing. And aside from almost getting attacked by a dog last night during a jog, our community is fantastic.

My first post after arrival I wanted to write about grocery items. I love going to a grocery store and looking at prices of items. It is always a good mental exercise to constantly be working money conversions in your head. Here is an amended list of grocery items we bought at our first time out in the grocery store. I have already take the time to do the conversion 1 USD=3.65 Riyals

Loaf of bread-1.64
Yogurt-1.57 for 6 large cups
Wheat cereal from South Africa-3.15
Ground Beef(extra lean)-7.61 for 1 lb
2 small chickens-5.41
Liters of milk-3.15 for 4 liters
yellow onions-1.11 for 3
orange juice-2.12 for 1.75 liters
cucumbers-1.30 for a bag of 8
Seedless dates-2.80 for a bag of 400 grams
Bananas-2.50 for about 14
Head of broccoli-1.87

So after the first trip my first reaction is that we are going to be paying a lot for groceries. One item that we will be doing well in is yogurt. You should have seen the options for yogurt. It was incredible. That had HUGE buckets of yogurt for very cheap.

Coffee is going to be a problem. In the grocery store they had very limited options and I ended up getting little tiny expensive bags of coffee from Lebanon. And..I don't know if I am doing something wrong but it is perhaps the worst coffee I have ever had! After Ramadan Starbucks will be opening back up and I am going to just have to buy coffee there to make at home..

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to keep up with you and your family as you start this new adventure!!! Good luck and I can't wait to hear more!
    Paige

    ReplyDelete